MEET Sifiso Skenjana
Sifiso Skenjana is founder and financial economist at AFRA Consultants a research and economic advisory company with advisory experience across various sectors and sub industries
He is a frequent speaker at various seminars and conferences as a subject matter expert thought leader on the micro and macro economy and broader development topics He is a columnist for Sunday Times (Business Times), Business Day and Fin 24 and a weekly local and global economy contributor at Power Fm Prior to that, he most recently worked as a senior consultant in the innovation and growth services ( unit within Monitor Deloitte, Deloitte’s premier strategy business Sifiso has experience working in strategy, policy research and development and asset management.
Prior to joining Monitor Deloitte, he worked at Stanlib as an in house strategy analyst, where he was involved in strategy development and execution support across all business units and across a variety of geographies (including South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Kenya, Swaziland, Lesotho, Uganda and Ghana) Prior to joining Stanlib Sifiso worked at Nedbank Private Wealth (previously BoE Private Clients) as a Portfolio Manager, managing investments on behalf of clients Sifiso a PhD student at The University of Cape Town ( focusing on financial development and economic in Sub Saharan Africa
Milestones & Achievements
- Economic Policy Research
- Economic Impact Analysis
- New Market Entry
- Strategy Development
- Value Chain Development
- Investment Management
- Financial Modelling
- Regulatory Impact Analysis
- Competition and Competitiveness Research
- PhD Development Finance UCT GSB (Student, 2016+)
- MSc Finance ESADE Business School, Spain, (2014 2015)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Planning Law UFS (2012)
- BBusSc (Hons), UCT (2009)
- Financial Services
- Agriculture Forestry
- Media Entertainment
- Economic Policy Research Sifiso has worked on several policy papers which include but are not limited to 1 blended finance agri and smme 2 labour and employment, 3 human capital development and strategies for education and skills development, 4 the copyright amendment bill and 5 the NHI bill
- Investment and Product Strategy Development Top 4 Bank (From 2016 Ongoing) Sifiso is currently contracted on an ongoing basis to provide consulting services for a leading bank focusing primarily of strategy development and support in the banks’ investment team and product development house
- Financial Due Diligence Financial Modelling Public Investment Corporation ( 2018 Sifiso was contracted to provide and independent due financial due diligence and financial modelling for an insurance transaction that the PIC was involved in
- Transactional Banking Strategy, ABSA 2018 Sifiso was contracted by Genesis Consulting to provide research and strategy development for the transactional banking unit at ABSA
- Forestry Strategy Development SAFCOL 2017 Sifiso worked in partnership with Nascence Advisory in a project mandated for the review and development of the SAFCOL multiyear strategy including performance review and strategy implementation
- Economic Research and Economic Impact Assessment 2017 Sifiso was contracted to provide consulting and advisory services by compiling an e conomic analysis Report for the development of phase 3 and phase 5 in the Automotive Supplier Park Services provided were are for the production of a report detailing the Gauteng Socio Economic context by means of conducting secondary economic and market research and an economic impact assessment of the supplier park
- Electricity market and tariff economic impact assessment, Eskom 2016 Sifiso was involved in compiling an economic impact analysis for rising electricity tariffs The project supports Eskom’s regulatory clearing account ( application process and the MYPD 4 application process.
- Strategy development for expansion 2014 Sifiso was co lead in developing an expansion strategy into Ghana and Nigeria for Stanlib Asset Management. This included the development of market insights and identification of market entry strategies. This required a sound understanding of the regulatory and competitive environment of the these markets.
- Competitiveness Assessment 2014 Sifiso was co lead on a competitiveness assessment project for all of Stanlib’s rest of Africa businesses in Kenya, Uganda, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana and Namibia. The project identified opportunities for driving efficiencies, profitability, market share retention and business development.
- Regulatory Impact Assessment 2013 2014 Sifiso was involved in project to assess the impact of new legislation Retail Distribution Review ( on both an macro industry level and micro organisational level Included in the study was an assessment on compliance costs, risk management and operating model implications.
- Brand Strategy Development 2013 2014 Sifiso was involved in the brand strategy development and execution for Stanlib. The assisted in the company in understanding its brand position in the markets in which it operates and proposed country and market specific brand development drives.
- Trading Equity Fixed Income and Alternative Investment Research( 2010 2013 Sifiso performed market industry and company specific research. He used bottom and top down fundamental analysis and applied IRR, DCF methodologies and financial model development. He traded on and managed an equity investment portfolio size of R 380 million and was a part of the investment.
For speaker enquiries please fill in the form below and we will get back to you shortly.